1. Pluck and chop the leaves of the fresh herbs. Coarsely pulverize all other ingredients with a pestle.
2. Rub meat with mustard and then with the rub. Wrap the marinated meat in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
3. Preheat smoker to 100-130 degrees. Remove the pork shoulder from the plastic wrap and insert a meat thermometer into the center of it.
4. Put the white wine, apple juice, whiskey and maple syrup into the aluminum roasting pan. Add the roast. Put the pan and meat in the smoker. When the thermometer reaches 70-75 degrees, generously baste the meat with the liquid in the aluminum pan. Repeat once every hour. When the core temperature is 90 degrees, the meat is done.
5. Remove the roast, wrap in aluminum foil and allow to rest for another half hour. To serve, use a fork to pull the meat free and mix with the roasting juices from the pan.