• 250 g flour + some flour for working the dough
• 190 g soft butter
• 120 g ground almonds
• 90 g sugar
• 50 g powdered sugar
• 2 packets of vanilla sugar
Makes 60 cookies/2 cookie sheets
Prep time: 40 min. + chilling time
1. Sift flour into a mixing bowl, add butter, ground almonds and sugar and quickly knead into a smooth dough. Work the dough only as long as necessary, otherwise it becomes difficult to shape. Divide the dough into two equal rolls, wrap each one in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 170 °C (350° F, upper and lower heat). Take the rolls from the refrigerator and slice each into about 30 equal pieces. Roll each piece into about a 2” long piece between your hands making a point at one end. Now, shape the roll into a horn and place on one of the two cookie sheets lined with baking parchment. Do the same with all of the pieces, leaving some space between them.
3. Bake one cookie sheet at a time on the second rack in the hot oven for about 15 min. or until kifli just begin to lightly brown. Do not let them brown any more.
4. Remove the baked kifli from the oven and wait 3 minutes. Mix the powdered sugar and vanilla sugar on a broad plate. Carefully remove the kifli from the cookie sheet and place them upside down in the powdered sugar. Remove and place on a rack to cool. Store the cooled kifli in an air-tight storage tin.