• 100 g soft butter
• 110 g sugar
• pinch of salt
• 1 organic orange
• 1 egg (med.)
• 280 g flour
• 8 g baking powder
Sugar and powdered sugar for rolling the cookies
Italian Orange Cookies
Makes 32 cookies
Prep time: 30 min. + 1 hr. to chill
1. Cream butter, sugar and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowel using the whisk attachment on an electric hand mixer.
2. Wash orange in hot water, dry and grate half of the peel. Add the orange zest and egg to the butter mixture and continue beating until it is a smooth mass. Slowly add the juice while beating until the mixture is relatively liquid.
3. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and blend. Carefully fold in the flour mixture bit by bit, first using the mixer whisk, and then mixing by hand until a smooth even dough is formed. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 180 °C (350° F, upper and lower heat). Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape the dough into a roll about 1-1/2” thick. Cut the roll into 32 pieces. Roll the cylindrical shaped pieces first in sugar and then in powdered sugar. Place the pieces on a cookie sheet leaving enough space between them and bake in a hot oven for 10 -15 min. until the surfaces show cracks and are a light golden brown. Do not let the cookies get too brown!
5. Remove the cookie sheet, let the cookies cool, and then store in an air-tight container until ready to serve.