• 125 g honey
• 75 g brown sugar
• 75 g butter
• 1 egg (med.)
• 300 g flour (type 405) plus a little for work surface
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 2 tsp. gingerbread spice
• For decorating: Powdered sugar, lemon juice, food coloring, candy pearls
For: 8-10 cookies
Preparation time: 45 minutes.
Baking time: 12-15 minutes.
Chill time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
1. Put honey, sugar and butter in a pan and bring to a simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved while stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the stove and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Beat the egg in a bowl and add flour, baking powder and gingerbread spice. Add the honey mixture and knead everything to a smooth dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to180° C (upper & lower heat) and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface and roll out about 1 cm thick. Cut out gingerbread figures (10 cm) and place on the baking sheet a little bit apart.
4. Bake in the oven on the middle rack 12-15 minutes and then remove and place on a rack to completely cool. Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make icing and then decorate the gingerbread figures however desired.
Tip: If all the cookies don’t fit on the baking sheet, it’s better to bake in multiple batches.