This smooth, sweet dessert can be even better than ice cream on a warm summer day. It combines the comforting flavors of caramel and vanilla, with a refreshing hint of zesty orange. Try making this treat for this weekend’s Memorial Day barbecues- we are sure it will be a hit!
Portuguese Crème Caramel presented by guest blogger Michelle Tchea
Ingredients & Recipe
Sweetened condensed milk 1 can, about 375 ml (12 fl oz / 11/2 cups)
Evaporated milk 1 can, about 375 ml (12 fl oz / 11/2 cups)
Milk 125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup)
Vanilla seeds from 1 pod
Orange zest from 1 orange
Castor sugar 160 g (52/3 oz)
Water 1 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 160˚C (325˚F).
- Combine caramel ingredients in a pan. Melt sugar over low heat until it becomes a nice toffee color. This should take about 7 minutes. Don’t leave the pan unattended. Do not stir, but swirl occasionally to prevent burning or seizing. Remove from heat and divide among serving ramekins.
- Whisk ingredients for the custard. Pour into caramel-lined ramekins.
- Pour boiling water into a deep baking tray to create a water bath. Place ramekins in the water bath and bake for at least 30 minutes. This should give a soft flan. If you prefer a firmer texture, bake for another 5–10 minutes.
- Leave to cool before refrigerating for at least 3 hours before serving.
- To serve, place each ramekin in a hot water bath for about 20 seconds. Invert ramekin and tip flan onto a serving plate.
Enjoy! And be sure to let us know how your Portuguese Crème Caramel turns out in the comments section below.
Recipe by Michelle Tchea‘s My Little Soho Kitchen